Do you love singing? Can you commit to regular weekly rehearsals and services?
Have you sung in choir a lot or not sung much at all? Then St Giles’ Choir is for you.
“To sing is to pray twice” said St Augustine – at St Giles’ music plays an important role within our Worship and also our Social Community.
Our choir is a small but committed mixed voice SATB group who are friendly and welcoming and when all are present numbers about 15.
The choir usually sings each Sunday at the 10.30am Service and once a month for Choral Evensong (September – July). The choir supports the hymn singing and the singing of the liturgy. Most Sundays they also sing an anthem or specially chosen pieces of music. The choir takes a leading role at special services including the Advent Procession, Nine Lessons and Carols, Remembrance Day and other special services that occur in any given year.
St Giles Church is affiliated to the Royal School of Church Music (RSCM)
Our Organist and Choir Trainer
The organist and choir trainer at St Giles is Ruby Topping.
St Giles’ sings a wide range of music and has a growing repertoire of anthems and liturgical settings – some traditional, some more modern and some specially composed music for the choir.
Why join our choir?
• Singing improves literacy and numeracy skills – we welcome boys and girls from the age of 7 following a short and simple audition process.
• We welcome adults of all parts (Soprano, Alto, Counter-Tenor, Tenor and Bass)
• We sing a wide variety of music.
• St Giles’ is affiliated to the Royal School of Church Music (RSCM)
• St Giles’ choir often sings at other churches and also attends RSCM Festivals at Durham Cathedral and the wider North East.
8.45am Sunday Morning
Choir practices run between September & July.
If you want to know more or to come for a short and very informal audition, feel free to contact the parish office to arrange a visit.
Special Events & Concerts at St Giles’
St Giles’ has welcomed a number of visiting choirs and ensembles and hosts a summer concert series.
Visiting groups include:
• St Chad’s College Choir
• Pittington Brass Band
• Cobwebs Orchestra
• DMS String Orchestra
Keep an eye out on our events page for forthcoming concerts.